Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My Ramblings

Since the kids have started school, I haven't known what to blog about. Today, I had a full day planned, but I keep getting distracted by the phone & other things, so I've decided to scale down a bit & focus one ONE thing, instead of 10, so I can feel like I've accomplished something by the end of the day. That one thing is laundry, & while it is washing & drying, I can get to other things I want to do, but feel to busy to do, like blogging.
I am at a crossroad in my life right now & it's weird, wonderful, exciting & scary all at once. We have all heard that there are seasons in our life. For the last 13 1/2 years, my season has been to have babies & raise them. That has been my primary focus. Yes, I have my personal interests & I have pursued through the years, but my life has largely been raising my kids. And it still is, but in a different way. Since they started school, I've been reflecting on the past a lot more than I ever have. See, thats new too. Having time to think. With 4 kids, it seems like someone always needs something, or wants to talk, or needs attention. With the house so quiet now, I can actually think. So my mind has wandered back to the "old days" when the kids were really little, when Stephen and I were dating, when I was in college, when I was a teenager.... I've thought alot about my granny who passed away 4 years ago & all the good memories I have of her. And I've realized that I've been so busy all these years to really stop & realize that my life has been so very good. Often, I've been too caught up in the daily to do lists & sometimes, the trials. I guess what I am saying is that it is a good thing to finally have some time to stop & smell the roses!
But, I have thought about the hard times & trials too. & I have come to the conclusion that looking back, I am glad we went through the things we did. It has made us stronger people & a closer family.
So, I have had a great life & the season of having little children is over. I am aware that very soon, the season of my children being busy outside of home is fast approaching, and so this season we are currently in, the "school- aged" children season is important & what I do now with it will shape the future. I've asked myself, "what do I want to be now that the kids are in school all day" The answer is, a happy, well organized mother when they come home. For me, that means taking care of household chores, getting Stephen's paper's typed, exercising, spending a little time each day doing something I enjoy, and then preparing for the kids to come home. I've discovered I enjoy cooking when a million things aren't going on at once, so I make dinner & a after school snack an hour before they get home. It is fun to hear them walk through the door and say, "that smells good Mom, what's for snack?" I hope it is a memory that stays with them for life.
Anyway, that's what is on my mind today. Kind of rambling.
Oh, before I go, a funny thing Hannah said yesterday:
Yesterday was a cold, rainy day so I decided to celebrate by making a pot of Brocolii Cheese Soup & Corn Bread for dinner. Since the kids were out of school yesterday, Hannah helped me make dinner. She stirred the soup while I made the cornbread batter, then she asked if she could put the batter in the muffin tin. I told her yes, then started to show her how to spoon out batter evenly in each muffin tin. She looked up at me & said "Mom, I know...... I DO watch Ruff Ruff man." For those that don't know, Ruff Ruff Man is a show on PBS. It was just too funny!

2 comments:

Michele and Wyatt said...

My kids watch Ruff Ruff man too. It is one of their favorite shows (PBS is the only cartoons they get). It sounds like you've got things figured out. I need to get the organizational thing down a little better.

Malissa said...

Isn't it wonderful to have a little bit of undisrupted time to just think!! Sounds like you've got a great schedule worked out!