My new calling is Nursrey Leader and I love it! It is one of my favorite callings for many reasons: the kids are sweet & love you no matter what, the lessons are simple to prepare, & it is a Sunday only calling. After being in the Primary Presidency, Young Women's Presidency, & Activity Day Leader (one right after the other), it is nice to have a calling that doesn't involve meetings during the week. It will be a nice break.
This Sunday, our lesson is on being a good example. I am bringing a picture of Jesus & saying, "This is Jesus, he loves you very much. He wants you to be like him. Will you follow Jesus?" Then we are going to play Follow The Leader & sing Do As I'm Doing. So simple!
Kaitlyn started Young Women's last week. It is going to be an adjustment. But, to be fair to her, she started on a really hard week. Her first experience was mutual, & it was combined volleyball. The older boys intimidated her, although she said everyone was nice. On Sunday, it was combined Young Women's & they sat & listened to a lesson for the whole time. She said she liked the lesson, but it was just so different from Primary. Plus, she is the oldest of her group of friends & so she felt alone. She came into sacrament meeting, sat down, put her head on my shoulder, & burst into tears & said, "I don't like Young Women's & I am never going back!" Before I could respond, the meeting started. She cried through most of the meeting. I felt really bad for her & didn't know how I was going to handle it. I knew if I told her she has to go, no exception, it would just make her more set on not going. & I knew if I told her she didn't have to go, I would be setting her up for a lifetime of making excuses when it was hard to go to church.
So, as I was sitting there debating back & forth on what to do, the speaker began to tell of her missionary son who was hurt in a car accident. He hurt his back & thought he would have to come home. Their family prayed & fasted for him & 4 days later, he emailed to say the pain was totally gone. They hadn't told him they were praying for him. So, it gave me an idea: I prayed for Kaitlyn, that she would keep her mind & heart open to this new experience in Young Women's and listen to the Spirit. When the meeting was over, the first thing she said was, "It was just a bad day, I need to give it another try." We talked about some more here & there, but I haven't told her what to do, other than saying, if you decide not to go now, you'll be making a habit of not going when it's hard, and that could lead to inactivity. She said she didn't want that.
Then yesterday before school, she told me she prayed about it on Sunday night, & felt like if she didn't go, it would set a bad example to those that look up to her. One of her friends only goes to church when she does. So, Kaitlyn said she decided she would go to Young Women's whether she enjoyed it or not.
Yesterday, after school, the beehive class president called & invited Kaitlyn to go with her to take a treat to their leader who was sick. Kaitlyn came back happy & excited to be in Young Women's. Tonight, they are having a class activity & she is really excited.
I wonder sometimes if our kids are really developing testimonies of their own or not. This experience has shown me she is!
No comments:
Post a Comment