Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Who Knew?

Remember I posted a few weeks ago about our trip to the Little Sahara to play at the dunes? Well, it was great fun! At the time, I was recovering from a muscle spasm, so I tried to "take it easy" by crawling up the massive piles of sand, then slide down them on my behind. I thought I was so clever.
The next day, I woke up & I was stiff & sore. I thought the fun was well worth the price & didn't think much of it. Well, I haven't felt much better. I have been stiff & store, & some days, I can barely walk. I thought it was because I wasn't exercising enough, so I have tried walking 30-45 minutes a day. Still, the pain became worse. Today, I was in so much pain, I finally went to the doctor. I have sciatica, which is nerve pain that goes from my lower back to my knees, most likely caused by a muscle spasm. Lovely. The doctor told me the walking probably caused more injury than good & told me to stop taking walks for two weeks. I am so bummed, the weather is so nice! No yard work, heavy cleaning (I can't do more than make my bed at the moment) & no lifting what-so-ever. He gave me an anti-imflammatory, & offered Lortab. I declined the Lortab. With my family history, I rather deal with pain than addiction. He said to find a comfortable position or two..... and rest.... for 4-6 weeks.
I am glad I went to the Dr. today instead of last week. If I had gone to the doctor, I would have come home mad & feeling picked on, asking, "why me." But on Sunday, a newly returned missionary spoke. He told of being hit by a car & being in a lot of pain. He was doing what he supposed to & couldn't understand why this was happening to him. I could relate. Then his mom wrote to him, & suggested that maybe he needed to learn from the experience.
So, I am trying my hardest to approach this with a what am I suppose to learn from this attitude? I will have to rely on the kids & Steve to do much of what I can't do. Maybe I need to learn to delegate more? I love serving in Nursery, but I really can't do much until I heal. It is frustrating..... Steve & I made a goal to go to the temple once a week. I am trying to decide if I am suppose to learn to just put up with the pain, or accept that I am unable to go until I sm better.
I am hoping, praying, pleading that the doctor is wrong, that I will heal in a week. Steve is at Young Men's right now. I think when he gets home, I will ask him to call our home teacher & get a blessing. But I am trying to be humble too, and accept that it might take me 6 weeks to heal. What do I need to learn? Patience maybe?

1 comment:

Malissa said...

Ouch...sorry to hear that you're in pain. I'm sending you a fb message with some quotes I love and have helped me. Take care:)