Thursday, June 18, 2009

In Lieu of TV

This summer, Steve & I decided to limit the the time the kids watch TV. We discovered the Pioneer Library. It's an online library & we "check out" books by downloading them on the computer. Check out is 7-21 days. Once the downloads expires, the media file no longer works. This week, we have listened to:

Photobucket

Photobucket

The girls are loving listening to these books as much as I have! We usually listen to them in late afternoon, when everyone is tired & needs a rest. Yesterday, I turned on City of Ember around 3, intending to listen for only an hour, but we listened for almost 4. The girls color or make beaded necklaces while they listen.... or just sprawl out on the couches, listening to the story, lost in their own imaginations. I have worked on cleaning out & organizing my scrapbook & picture files. I am really loving summer!

Tomorrow, we start:

Photobucket

By the way, I am doing very little scrapbooking this summer, but taking a TON of pictures. Not only am I blogging to keep family & friends up to date, but I plan to use a lot of what I write on this blog on the scrapbook pages I do later on, after the kids are back in school!

2 comments:

Ramona said...

What a fabulous idea! I just may have to steal it! We love books and this would be so perfect! Oh, and the Anne books are some of my favorites!!!

Malissa said...

Thanks for the tip. We love audiobooks around here! We're listening to Pinnochio that we checked out, but online would be so much easier and less stressful about not loosing them. I just read 'City of Ember' a few weeks ago. I think my kiddos will like it when they're older. We also listen to recordings from librivox.com, but each chapter beginning and end has their little shpeal.

Enjoy the Anne books!!!