You don't hear that often, do you? But seriously, I love having teenagers! Not only are they really fun to talk to (when they want to talk that is), but they can be really helpful too! The kids are on spring break this week. Yesterday, Jonathan & Kaitlyn helped me clean walls & do yardwork. Then, today I was working on figuring out finances, which always takes me forever (I had to figure out summer tuition for Stephen and summer clothes for all of us), Jonathan washed & dried all but two loads of laundry for me!
But it isn't all work & no play. We are doing what we call a mini vacation this week. Yesterday, we went out to dinner at our favorite restuarant, Los Hermanos and then to family swim night at Stephen's work. Today, I took the kids to see Horton Hears a Who. Cute movie with a good message. Tonight we are having an eye toy Playstation tournament. I will not take 4 kids clothes shopping, can you say chaos???? So, I am taking 2 at a time, tommorrow & Thursday.
A good friend gave me an idea that I have implemented this year. Instead of just buying the kids clothes, they have to earn the money by doing chores around the house. My friend pays her kids $6/ hour for chores in the house, yardwork, & babysitting. Each child keeps a time card. When they have reached the amount that they can spend, they get to go shopping. The older kids are given cash, & although I am there to supervise, they get to pick out their clothes. Kaitlyn is really excited about this, and Jonathan is thrilled because he says we will only have to go to one store and be done in 20 minutes if he is in charge!
Malissa, you jinxed me!!! I cannot find my camera anywhere!
1 comment:
Hope you find your camera!! LOL Aren't kids great!
I like your system for earning money and having the kids take some responsibility. We are doing a money jar that is working pretty well. They have their chores(simple ones since they are young) and they can earn extra money by sleeping in their own beds and going to sleep quickly. If they are kind to eachother for a while I throw in an extra 'buck'. The conversion rate is 10 bucks: $1. On Fridays we cash out and they can go to McDonalds and get a sundae. The rest of the money goes in their banks for mission, college, or large purchases.
Post a Comment