Thursday, August 14, 2008

Lip Gloss?

Yesterday, I took the kids to get haircuts. Kaitlyn has been evolving into a young lady all summer. With her new haircut, she is drop dead gorgeous, no exaggeration, but perhaps just a teen weeny bit bias. This morning, she was in her room applying lip gloss. She wants to know if she can wear it to school. My first, gut reaction was to say NO WAY, you are too young. So I said the next thing, "let me thing on it & get back to you." Then my next thought was, "I should talk to Stephen & see what he thinks." But then I thought about the conversations we've had this summer on the subject of "his" little girl growing up & it has been a painful process for him. He keeps asking for guns, machedies (no idea how to spell that) etc so he can inflict bodily harm onto boys who treats his girls anything less than a princess. So, you can probably guess where his mindset is and to how he will react to Kaitlyn's lip gloss request. So, trying to look at this objectively, I know that most girls in the 6th grade DO wear lip gloss & some, even more make-up. I can see where Kaitlyn is coming from, she wants to look her best & feel confident with her peers. At this point, she wants the acceptance of other girls, she isn't out to impress boys (well, maybe just a little). If I look at it from her point of view, I want to say yes. But from my point of view, she is barely 12 & I want to hang onto her childhood for at least one more year. I know make-up is a must when she starts Jr. High next year. So, I am really torn. Anyone care to comment? Anyone have some ideas? I have until next tuesday to make this all important decision, lol.
On that note, I'm off to go shopping with Kaitlyn for school clothes.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

We allowed Marissa to wear a little mascara and lip gloss when she started 6th grade...and honestly it didn't last the entire year. I think that she got tired of applying it every day.
I totally know what you are feeling...it's soooo hard to let them grow up but inevitably it's gonna happen.
Let us know what you decide.

Malissa said...

oooooooooo. sixth grade is sooooo hard with all of the akward body changes, hormones, etc. I can see your point of view of wanting her to be little one more year- but I think if I were her it would be more to fit in with the other girls like you said. maybe clear lipgloss- then again, it's easier to give advice when it's not your own child LOL.