Friday, February 27, 2009

The Other Shoe Has Dropped

Remember a few posts back, I blogged about how difficult it has been to get Stephen's preceptorship arranged, but everything was arranged? Well, now we are back to square one. Yesterday, Stephen found out the nurse he was assigned to is going on vacation for the next two weeks. What? Stephen only has two more weeks to complete his preceptorship. So, he is four shifts short now. He has had a very hard week. He worked Monday, had clinical Tuesday, Thursday, & today. He had a test on Wednesday, spent 5 hours on his NCLEX review, and did homework until midnight. On Wednesday, we walked to the girls school to pick them up, and walked home with them. Other than that, we haven't seen much of him. I am not complaining, I know this is what has to happen to get through this. But I am pretty tired. Of course the kids would have tons of homework. Yesterday, we started homework at 4pm, and finished up 5 minutes before 9. Both Emily & Kaitlyn had big projects in addition to the regular reading, spelling, & math facts. I feel like we were blessed though, usually when there is so much homework, the kids get whiny & argue a lot. Last night, everyone was in a good mood & cooperated pretty well. Emily even offered to help Hannah do you homework while I helped Kaitlyn with her project. All I had to do was check over it. That was good.
And it isn't over yet for the week. Stephen has to work in the morning. His NCLEX review didn't go well on Wednesday. He has to take a 100 question quiz each week to review subjects he has learned during nursing school. This week is on Pharmacology, one of the tougher subjects. He has to pass with a 80% or better. He scored a 78%, so he has to retake it Saturday. Ugh, he was so frustrated. So after the test, he has homework. Oh, and midterms are on Monday.
As for me, Kaitlyn has a science project to work on this weekend, Emily has a make up gymnastics lesson on Saturday because I was just to overwhelmed with all the homework last night to take her (it is a 20 minute drive, so I just stay up there with her, it is a waste of gas to just drop her off & come home.)
The hardest part of this though is not knowing what next week will bring. I like life planned out. Beyond today, Stephen's clinicals are up in the air. I know I'm suppose to learn to be flexible by this experience, but frankly, I don't want too! Great attitude, eh? Ok, pity party over. The bright side: no matter what Nursing school WILL be over in eight weeks!

Oh yeah, on a much more cheerier note, a neighbor did the nicest thing for us this week. She brought us treats for FHE on Monday. Lemon Merainge cookies. They were delicious! In fact, too good! I ended up eating 4!

No comments: