Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Wonderful World of Facebook

Last August, I was searching for my friend Ginny's website, Alphabetology. I googled it & found her on facebook. After looking through her friends, I saw that all the "kids" who I grew up with were on there. It is kind of like going to a virtual high school reunion and it has been fun to discover that like me, they survived puberty and went on to lead happy, well adjusted adult lives. I've also reconnected with dear friends from college and places that Stephen & I have lived during our marriage. We also keep in touch with Spencer cousins and Daisson relatives through facebook. So it has been fun.

On facebook, a tag, kind of like blog tagging has been going on this week. I was tagged by 10 different people, so I thought I would write it (Anne, I know you are very busy, but you crack me up with these kinds of things, that's why I tagged you, seriously :). ) It was fun to write & I think I'll post it here too. It is long though! Just a warning.

25 Random Things About Me

1. One thing about me that I rarely comment or dwell on is that I have mild Cerebral Palsy. It primarily affects my left hand & speech. I don't resent it. It has given me the opportunity to learn how to overcome obstacles and rely on the Lord for his strength to do things that others take for granted. It has also helped me to appreciate the small things in life, like flipping pancakes on my own and using a cutting board to cut a straight line. It has also humbled me. I truly feel honored to lead a "normal" life!

2. In high school, I dreamed of being a journalist and writer. I was co- editor with Kelsey Hoppe of my high school newspaper.

3. On the first day of school sophomore year, Ginny Zeugschmidt was roaming the halls of Orange Glen High School, looking for a locker that had been assigned to her only to find it didn't exist. I offered to share mine with her. We started eating lunch together. She asked if I wanted to go to Church with her. I said sure. I went to Church with her. Immediately felt a feeling I never felt before. Wondered what it was. Kept going to Church to try to figure it out. Met the Missionaries, started taking the discussions. Knew I had a testimony after the first discussion. Was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints November 12, 1989. To this day, I still ponder the significance of a non existent locker and a simple invitation, "do you want to go to Church on Sunday?"


4. After I was baptized, my dreams changed. I wanted to be a mother and a wife more than anything in the world and create my own eternal family. I wasn't sure it was going to happen it this lifetime, but I put my trust in the Lord.

5. At 17, I craved independence. My family loved me very much & although they raised me to think I could to anything I wanted, they also were somewhat overprotective. So, I decided I wanted to go to college out- of- state. I chose BYU in Utah. But at a stake seminary "morning side" I was introduced to Ricks College in Rexburg, Idaho. As soon as I heard the name, I knew I was supposed to go there. It was really tough for my Dad. In fact, he offered to buy me a car if I stayed home & went to Palomar College!

6. I blossomed at Ricks College into the woman I am today. Before I left, my bishop (Bishop Lewis, Escondido 3rd ward) counseled me to bear my testimony often and if I did, I would make friends that would last a lifetime. I was very shy in high school. But I came out of my shell in college. I made lots of friends. One being Stephen Daisson.

7. I met Stephen the first Sunday fall semester 1992. We became friends instantly. For the first four months, we worked very hard to dismiss the mutual attraction. "We are just friends." But we spent every single minute together that we could. In January 1993, Stephen kissed me for the first time. At that point, we admitted we were dating (duh, everyone around us had already figure that out). In November 1993, Stephen asked me to marry him, to which I said "yes" right away. We were married in the Idaho Falls Temple five months later in April 94. One of my dreams had come true. I married my best friend and it has been 14 years of pure joy!

8. Stephen & I both wanted kids. We were told that since I had Cerebral Palsy, I would be able to have one, maybe two. We decided to make it a matter of prayer. Jonathan joined our family in January 95. I had a very difficult pregnancy & feared the doctors were right. After being on bed rest for 6 weeks & hospitalized 4 times, he was born 5 weeks early. Miraculously, he was born healthy & came home the next day. He is 14 now. He is every mother's dream. I won't label him as perfect, but he is probably as close to is possible in this life. On the day he was born, I decided my career would be full time mother. It is the hardest career out there, but the most rewarding too!

9. In December 1995, against my doctor's advice, Stephen & I decided to add another child to our family. I had the same trouble getting Kaitlyn here. But I learned what Christ-like service really is through that experience. For 8 weeks, Young Women from our ward came to my house to tend Jonathan (18 months old) while I was in bed. Relief Society Sisters cleaned my house & cooked dinner. I made it fill term & Kaitlyn Joy was born the following September. She was a gift. She was a very happy, peaceful baby who loved to smile and play on her own. Today she is 12 and has a strong testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Like her mother, she is strong willed and learning to use that to do good in the world. She is smart, funny, musically inclined, a writer, and a wonderful friend!

10. In 1997, Stephen made good on a promise to my dad when we married. Dad wanted me to finish college. So, Stephen told me that as soon as he graduated, I was going back to school. I still wanted to go to BYU, so I applied, and was accepted. So we moved our little family from Lewiston, ID to Orem, UT. Another dream had come true.

11. About 9 months before I graduated, we decided to have a third child. I found a doctor who was really supportive. I wondered how I would finish school if I had to go on bed rest. This pregnancy went really well, & I kept up with taking care of two little kids (4 & 2) and going to school full time. Emily was born 8 days before graduation. She is 9. She is an athlete and loves running & gymnastics. She is sweet, sensitive, kind, & incredibly gorgeous! From the time she was born, she has radiated peace & joy.

12. Our kids have never had a babysitter, other than for our weekly dates. While I was in school, Stephen took care of the kids while I was in class then worked full time in the evenings to support our family.

13. After I graduated, Stephen worked two jobs for 13 months so we could move out of our tiny 2 bedroom apartment to a bigger home. We only had one car. One of his jobs was to take mentally handicapped men to church on Sundays (he was a manager at a group home). So I walked to Church with 3 kids, ages 4, 3 & an infant. I was certain at that point that I truly had a testimony!

14. In September 2000, we bought our first home. Going from 600 sq ft to 2500 sq ft felt like we moved into a mansion! All of Stephen's hard work paid off! We chose our home because of the neighborhood. When we were looking at the home, we were told that we had to hurry, because the street would be closed soon so the neighbors could have their annual parade and barbecue. Stephen & I looked at each other and said, "This is the Place!"

15. As soon as we moved in, I made friends with many neighbors. We have been here for 8 years now. Many have been like second parents to my children. My neighbors are like family. I love it here!
16. On September 11, 2001 I was sitting on the couch, folding clothes because I was to sick to do anything else. A few days before, I had found out I was pregnant. As I watched the towers fall, I realized my children would grow up in a different world than I did. But I knew the Lord's power was stronger than those of terrorists. To protect them, I just had to teach them to love & serve Him. I felt completely at peace bringing another baby into the world. Other than morning sickness, I had a perfect pregnancy. In May 02, Hannah was born. All of my dreams came true. As soon as 6 year old Jonathan took her into his arms and looked into her sweet brown eyes, he forgot about the disappointment he felt over her not being a boy who he could name "George."

17. Stephen was able to take 5 paid weeks off work after I had Hannah. About two weeks after she was born, he took our 3 other children (6, 5, & 2) on a walk so I could rest while the baby slept. They found a little black & white kitty under a neighbor's car, covered in oil. They asked everyone in the neighborhood if it was theirs. It wasn't. So Jonathan begged us to let him keep it. We let him. The cat was a boy. He named him "George."

18. I craved ice when I was pregnant with Hannah. I made my friend Chrysta go through a drive through to order a cup of ice. When the guy asked, "uh, would you like anything else.... Chrysta responded... Yeah, a medium rootbeer... with less ice. We cracked up all the way home & it is still funny to this day!

19. My favorite callings in the church have been in Young Women's, Activity Days, & the nursery.

20. I love to do yard work. I love to walk barefoot on freshly cut grass.

21. With Stephen, I have been snow skiing, water skiing & rappelling, & white water rafting,

22. The dumbest thing I ever did was go "Bridge Jumping" at Ricks College because a cute guy (not Stephen) asked me if I wanted to go. I ended up hurting my foot. When my dad received the doctor bill, he called and said, "Well, I guess if I asked you if would jump off a bridge just because all of your friends are, you would say yes. That offer on a new car still stands."

23. My favorite places are my home, the temple, & Disneyland.

24. I was nominated as Woman of the Year at Ricks College and was 1 of 5 semifinalists.

25. I love to digitally scrapbook & to document our family's life. I carry a camera everywhere I go which makes Jonathan feel like he has his own personal paparazzi and the girls like they are models. I am passionate about creating a scrapbook for every year & journaling. I also love to blog.

1 comment:

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Melody,
That was great to get to know you better. You have been very blessed and I love your positive attitude. You are an example to all.

Amyjoy