First, I made them work.

On Thursday, we worked in the yard the entire day. We pulled out flowers, trimmed trees, did a ton of weeding, swept walkways, & mowed the lawns. Yes, there was a fair amount of mumbling, grumbling, some tears, & a few arguments. But all in all, it went pretty smoothly. The kids worked really hard & it was the first year I felt like having them help me was really help, not just a lesson in work for them & a test of patience for me.

Of course, it wasn't all work & no play. The girls took turns pushing each other in the wheelbarrow as they hauled clippings & weeds to the trash.

We started at 10:30 am & finished around 5:30. The kids came in, plopped down in front of the TV, and watched The Brady Bunch. When it was over, none of them moved. They just stared at the TV. I took a shower, with the intention of making dinner as soon as I got out. Stephen took one look at me & decided I was too tired to make dinner. He had just finished taking a very hard test, & still had a lot of homework to do, so we ordered Pizza & Rootbeer, spread out a blanket in the family room, & ate pizza & watched Little House On The Prarie.
At 8am, the kids were begging to say family prayers & go to bed. By 8:15pm, the house was silent.
I woke the kids up early on Friday morning to get ready for a day of fun. The girls & I went to Gardner Village in West Jordan. Jonathan stayed home to spend the day at a neighbor's catching frogs with four of his friend's.

Gardner Village had a TON of fun Halloween decorations. The girl's, including Megan (Kaitlyn's friend) enjoyed the dressed up witches.



I also enjoyed hanging out with three dear friends.

(Left to right: Lisa Joy & Larriann)
I had so much fun seeing Larriann Madsen McGowan, a former room mate from Ricks. By total coinidence, it was exactly 11 years ago to the day since I had seen her. The last time I saw her was her wedding day. Larriann is as sweet & patient as she was in college. It literally felt like no time had passed as we talked & just enjoyed being together again. As always, it was a treat to spend the day with Lisa Joy. My neighbor & friend Janae (Megan's mom) also went with us & it was nice to catch up with her. Although we only live 3 houses apart, we get so busy with our families that sometimes 2 or 3 weeks will pass before we find time to talk.
There were so many great places to take pictures, I just couldn't let the opportunity pass. I "only" took 50 pictures because I was trying to keep track of Hannah & talk to my friends. Here are a "few" of my favorites:








Saturday was a fun day too..... Stephen was really busy last week (don't I say that every week?). We really hadn't had time to see much of each other during the week, so we went to lunch at a local mexican resturant. Then we came home & Stephen did homework, I did some housework, & the kids totally enjoyed an unscheduled day of playing. In the evening, I went to Lisa Joy's house to have dinner with Lisa Joy, Darla & Heidi. Good friends, good food, lots of laughs. It was an awesome weekend!
On Sunday, Stephen, who is always up by 7am to prepare his Young Men's lesson & then go to meetings, slept until 9:30! He didn't even stir when Hannah came in with a Junie B. Jones book we have been reading & snuggled up to me & asked me to read the last chapter. Poor guy, he was exhausted. When he did wake up, he said, "well, at least I won't fall asleep in Sacrament today." The girls & I had a very hard time not giggling when he DID fall asleep!
Now, we are back to real life. Stephen has midterms & is stressed. He also has to work & has an Young Men's activity. So for me it means a week of running kids to lessons, helping with homework, typing papers, going to Parent- Teacher conferences & keeping everything else in our life afloat. We'll have to celebrate surving this busy week by having more fun next weekend!
4 comments:
Seeing pictures of all 3 of you together makes me excited to get together in a couple weeks.
I'm assuming that Stephen missed his meetings...right? Funny! I was so exhausted from working in our yard that Marissa had to come in my room and wake me up...she asked if we were going to church? We were late which hasn't happened since Rob was put in the Bishopric...he just smiled as we walked in!
yep, he totally missed Aronic Priesthood Committee Meeting, so did Jonathan. But luckily, the YM president was out of town, so there wasn't YM presidency meeting. I know what you mean about yard work, I was so tired, I took an Advil & fell asleep around 8. I am excited to see you too! Where will we meet?
That was really fun to see pictures of Lisa Joy and Lariann. It reminded me of Ricks. All three of you look the same. It's always fun to get together with friends.
What a fun day!!! So jealous that you guys get together- but glad that the friendship keeps on going after all these years!
Post a Comment