Happily, I am able to report that my sciatic nerve has completely healed & I am back to doing 95% of what I want/ need to do, & I am able to exercise a little more each day & feel like I am getting stronger! It is still hard to sit in the car or van for more than 15 minutes, and church benches make me stiff & sore. I don't know why, but I am grateful for soft couches in the foyer!
This has been a tough trial for me. I knew I wouldn't be miracoulsy healed in a day or two. I knew I would have many things to learn from it, & I needed the time that it would take to heal from to learn what I was suppose to. Not being able to do anything for 3 weeks gives a person a lot of time to think!
I think a major thing I learned is that although I can't always control what happens to my body physically, I can control what happens to me emotionally & spiritually. There were so many days that the struggle to just walk from my bed to my chair was so hard that it drained me emotionally. The kids were upset & worried, yet I couldn't do anything to make it better instantly. Constant physical pain has a way of wearing me down emotionally. On one particularly hard day, it took every ounce of emotional & physical strength to get the kids off to school. Once they were gone, I crawled into bed & cried in self pity for an hour. Them, I realized I couldn't do it alone. So I opened up the scriptures, & read about the Atonement until I found peace. I learned that Christ knew how I felt, because he had already suffered for me in the Garden of Gethsemane. Because he had suffered... he knew how to succor me... if I would let him. Then I read in 2nd Nephi that the Lord would concencrate our burdens for our good. I really felt the power & truth of the Atonement. So everytime I felt discouraged or depressed (which was alot), I prayed to feel the love of the Savior & for courage & help to withstand the temptation of becoming depressed. It was hard, but I was able to stay emotionally at peace, & feelings of depression only lasted brief moments. I have learned to place my burdens on the Lord, to allow him to succor me, & to choose peace over depression.
Another thing I have learned is empathy for those who suffer with Chronic pain. As you all know, I have mild Cerebral Palsy. My attitude has always been to push a little harder to overcome obstacles. I am ashamed to admit that I haven't understood why some who have chronic health problems don't do the same. I realize now it isn't always possible, or wise. Had I taken the time to heal when I first pulled a muscle in Feburary, I might not have pinched a nerve. Very humbling realization.
I also realized how important it is to let other people help me. I tried to walk a mile a day to attempt to get over the pulled muscles, which led to the pinched nerve. After I had healed enough to start walking for exercise, I was very frightened. I still had pain, but in order to get stronger, I needed to start walking. But the fear was to strong. Last Monday, my neighbor Janae called & asked if I was getting better & if I wanted to try walking. I told her yes, but I was afraid. She came over & we went walking around the block. It wore me out, but I felt better and each day was a little better. I am grateful for her support & friendship.
2 comments:
Mel, One very dear to me found great courgage in your words. Thank you for sharing your amazing attitude and how your capacity to endure challenges comes from your closeness to our Savior. I'm glad you're on the mend. I'm cheering for you!!! I LOVE YOU!
Hang in there Miss Melody. You are Super Woman to me in so many ways. I am so glad you are doing better. Lots of love.
Post a Comment